Questions and answers
Exam type questionnaire model
All students will receive a starter pack as part of their induction to driving. The packs will include question and answers and a breakdown of the EDT syllabuses.
When can you overtake on the left?
A = One of the following:
* When a driver in front of you is turning right
* When you intend to turn left
* When the vehicles in the right hand lane are moving slower than the vehicles in your lane.
Where do you safely stop a STOP sign which has no white lines?
A =At the STOP sign
How can you identify a Zebra crossing at night?
A = by the yellow flashing beacons
What does a single yellow line mean?
A = No parking a certain times (generally during working hours)
What is the legal parking distance from the curb?
A = Half a meter
Name three people in authority that you should stop for?
A = the following people:
* The Garda
* A school warden
* A person in charge of animals
All students will receive a starter pack as part of their induction to the HGV driving course. The packs will include question and answers, driving hours and truck weights and information for the stage 3 of CPC.
What braking systems are on most large vehicles?
A = three way braking system i.e. Foot brake, hand brake and engine brake.
What is an engine brake (exhaust brake)?
A = It operates in the exhaust system.
It closes a valve so that exhaust pressure is built up which in turn causes a braking effect in the engine. At the same time the control rod on the fuel pump is moved to the stop position
What must a driver do if the vehicle breaks down?
A = Action the following:
* Place the vehicle as near to the left as possible.
* Put on the hazard warning lights.
* Place the reflective triangle at least 50 yards from the rear of the vehicle in line with the outside of the vehicle.
* If the break down is immediately around a bend put the triangle before the bend.
* It is important that the triangle warns the approaching traffic in good time.
How many hours per day can a driver drive?
A = 9 hours per day extendable to 10 hours twice per week.
What is the vehicle tail swing?
A = The portion of vehicle from the rear wheels to vehicle end swings the opposite direction when turning right or left.
Therefore increasing the potential of colliding with parked vehicles, queues of traffic or other vehicles that are overtaking on the inside lane.
Recommended reading and books
- RSA – Rules of the Road
- The Official Driver Theory Test (Cat B and C)
- RSA Learning to Drive a Truck
- The Official DSA Guide to Driving – the essential skills
“Regarding the load projection”
Loads projecting more than 1 meter to the rear must be marked as followed:
- Maximum Projecting Load – 3 Meters.
- Daytime: Red flag on a marker board.
- Night-time: Red lamp and red reflector.
- Loads projecting to the side more than 300 mm max must be marked at night by lamps showing white to the front and red to the rear.
- Rear Markings: Red refectories and fluorescent stripes.
- Side Markings: Yellow fluorescent and amber refectories stripes